- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 993
- Fat Content: 56g
- Saturated Fat Content: 26g
- Carbohydrate Content: 56g
- Sugar Content: 12g
- Fiber Content: 7g
- Protein Content: 70g
- Sodium Content: 1.43g
- butter - 100g dripping or butter
- lamb - 900g stewing lamb, cut into large chunks
- lamb-kidney - 3 lamb kidneys, sliced, fat removed
- onion - 2 medium onions, chopped
- carrot - 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- plain-flour - 25g plain flour
- worcestershire-sauce - 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- lamb - 500ml lamb or chicken stock
- bay-leaf - 2 bay leaves
- potato - 900g potato, peeled and sliced
- Heat oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3.
- Heat a little of the 100g dripping or butter in a large shallowcasserole dishand brown 900g stewing lamb chunks in batches, lift to a plate, then repeat with 3 trimmed and sliced lamb kidneys.
- Fry 2 chopped onions and 4 peeled and sliced carrots in the pan with a little more dripping until golden.
- Sprinkle over 25g plain flour, allow to cook for a couple of mins, shake over 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce, pour in 500ml lamb or chicken stock, then bring to the boil.
- Stir in the stewing lamb and kidneys and 2 bay leaves, then turn off the heat.
- Arrange 900g peeled and sliced potatoes on top of the meat, then drizzle with a little more dripping.
- Cover, then place in the oven for about 1 1/2 hrs until the potatoes are cooked.
- Remove the lid, brush the potatoes with a little more dripping, then turn the oven up to brown the potatoes, or finish under the grill for 5-8 mins until brown.
British recipe for 4 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has butter, lamb, lamb kidney, onion, carrot, plain flour, worcestershire sauce, lamb, bay leaf and potato.