- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 346
- Fat Content: 13g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7g
- Carbohydrate Content: 54g
- Sugar Content: 40g
- Fiber Content: 1.2g
- Protein Content: 4g
- Sodium Content: 0.7g
Leftover veg & orange cake
- butter - 200g butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
- sultana - 140g sultana or raisins
- orange - zest and juice 2 oranges, or 4 clementines
- self-raising-flour - 300g self-raising flour
- brown-sugar - 300g light soft brown sugar
- mixed-spice - 2 tsp mixed spice
- ground-ginger - 1 tsp ground ginger
- bicarbonate-of-soda - 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- egg - 4 large eggs, beaten with a fork
- swede - 300g carrots, parsnips, pumpkin, butternut squash or swede, or a mixture, grated
- icing-sugar - 200g icing sugar or fondant icing sugar
- sugar-cube - few crushed white sugar cubes
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease and line a 30 x 20cm baking or roasting tin with baking parchment. Mix the sultanas and zest and juice from 1 orange (or 2 clementines), and microwave on High for 2 mins.
- Mix the flour, caster sugar, spices, bicarb and pinch of salt into a large bowl. Mix the eggs with the melted butter and sultana mixture, then tip into the dry ingredients and stir in with a wooden spoon. Stir in the grated veg, and scrape into the tin. Bake for 35 - 40 mins, or until a skewer poked in the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin.
- Once cool sift the icing sugar into a bowl and stir in remaining orange zest plus enough juice to make a runny icing. Drizzle all over the cake and scatter with the crushed sugar cubes. Leave to set, then slice into 15 squares to serve.
Leftovers recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has butter, sultana, orange, self-raising flour, brown sugar, mixed spice, ground ginger, bicarbonate of soda, egg, swede, icing sugar and sugar cube.