- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 270
- Fat Content: 8g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 46g
- Sugar Content: 16g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 5g
- Sodium Content: 0.8g
Lemon drizzle scones
- self-raising-flour - 250g self-raising flour, plus a little extra for dusting
- butter - 50g butter, chilled and cut in small pieces, plus extra for greasing
- golden-caster-sugar - 25g golden caster sugar
- lemon - zest 2 lemons
- buttermilk - 125ml buttermilk
- milk - 4 tbsp full-fat milk
- icing-sugar - 3 tbsp icing sugar
- lemon - zest 1 lemon, plus a little lemon juice
- sugar - 4 white sugar cubes, crushed, or 1 tbsp preserving sugar
- clotted-cream - clotted cream and jam, to serve
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 6 and grease a large baking tray. In a large bowl, rub the flour, 1/4 tsp salt and the butter together with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the caster sugar and lemon zest, and stir with a cutlery knife. Mix together the buttermilk and milk. Make a well in the centre of the flour mix and add the liquid. Use your cutlery knife to combine the mixture as a soft dough, but don't overmix or the scones will be heavy.
- Tip onto your work surface and pat the dough out to a 2.5cm thickness. Use a 7cm cookie cutter to stamp out the scones. Don't twist as you cut, as this will stop the scones rising to their full potential. Any scraps of dough can be gently pushed back together to make more scones. Place the scones on the baking tray and bake for 10-12 mins until golden, then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
- Mix the icing sugar with enough lemon juice to make a thick but runny icing. Drizzle over the scones, then scatter with the crushed sugar cubes and lemon zest. Leave to set for 10 mins, then enjoy with clotted cream and jam.
Scone recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 12 mins; recipe has self-raising flour, butter, golden caster sugar, lemon, buttermilk, milk, icing sugar, lemon, sugar and clotted cream.