- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Serving: 10 - 12
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 409
- Fat Content: 15g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9g
- Carbohydrate Content: 64g
- Sugar Content: 48g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 5g
- Sodium Content: 0.5g
Lemon sponge cake
- butter - 175g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for the tin
- golden-caster-sugar - 175g golden caster sugar
- egg - 3 large eggs
- lemon - 3 large unwaxed lemons, zested, plus 4-4 1/2 tbsp juice
- self-raising-flour - 250g self-raising flour
- baking-powder - 1/2 tsp baking powder
- greek-yogurt - 100g Greek yogurt
- icing-sugar - 400g icing sugar
- lemon-zest - lemon zest or candied peel, to serve (optional)
- lemon - 2 large lemons
- granulated-sugar - 200g granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 3. Butter a deep, loose-bottomed, 18cm cake tin and line the base with baking parchment.
- Beat the butter and caster sugar together with an electricwhiskuntil fluffy and pale in colour. Crack the eggs in one at a time, beating well after each addition, then stir in the lemon zest. Fold in the flour, baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt, then fold in the yogurt.
- Spoon the mixture into the lined tin, smoothing the top with aspatula. Bake in the centre of the oven for 50-55 mins, or until golden brown on top and firm to the touch. Cool in the tin for 10 mins before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.Will keep in an airtight container for up to four days, or in the freezer for up to a month.
- When you're ready to decorate, sieve the icing sugar into a bowl and beat in enough of the lemon juice to create a thick icing. Set the cake on a serving plate or cake stand, then spoon over the icing, allowing it to drip down the sides a little. Top with the lemon zest or candied peel, if using (see below), and cut into generous wedges to serve.
- To make candied lemon peel, peel large, wide strips from the lemons using a vegetable peeler. Remove any pith with aknife, then julienne the peel into very thin matchsticks. Tip the granulated sugar into a saucepan with 200ml water and set over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Add the lemon peel and simmer gently for 15 mins, then scoop the peel out using a slotted spoon and set on a piece of kitchen paper to cool. Use to decorate the top of your cake.
Easter baking recipe for 10-12 people, takes only 55 mins; recipe has butter, golden caster sugar, egg, lemon, self-raising flour, baking powder, greek yogurt, icing sugar, lemon zest, lemon and granulated sugar.