- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 269
- Fat Content: 12g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 31.3g
- Sugar Content: 20.4g
- Fiber Content: 1.4g
- Protein Content: 8.1g
- Sodium Content: 0.6g
Lighter Chocolate cake with chocolate icing
- butter - 25g butter
- self-raising-flour - 140g self-raising flour
- cocoa-powder - 25g cocoa powder, sifted
- baking-powder - 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- light-muscovado-sugar - 50g light muscovado sugar
- golden-caster-sugar - 75g golden caster sugar
- ground-almond - 25g ground almonds
- natural-yogurt - 175g natural yogurt
- vanilla-extract - 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- egg - 2 large eggs, beaten
- rapeseed-oil - 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- dark-chocolate - 25g dark chocolate (preferably 70% cocoa solids), finely chopped
- icing-sugar - 50g icing sugar
- cocoa-powder - 1 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- butter - 25g butter, room temperature
- semi-skimmed-milk - 1 tsp semi-skimmed milk
- cream-cheese - 100g light cream cheese, straight from the fridge
- quark - 100g quark cheese
- almond - 10 sugared almonds (optional)
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Line the bases of 2 x 18cm round sandwich cake tins with baking parchment. Melt the butter and set aside to cool. Mix the flour in a large bowl with the cocoa powder, baking powder, both sugars and ground almonds. Stir the yogurt and vanilla into the beaten eggs. Pour this into the dry mixture along with the melted butter and oil. Briefly stir until just mixed, creamy and smooth. Do not overbeat.
- Spoon the mixture evenly between the two tins and level the surfaces. Bake for 20 mins until risen and starting to come away from the sides of the tin. Remove from the tins, peel off the parchment and leave the cakes to cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make the icing. Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water. Remove the bowl from the pan and leave the chocolate to cool. Sift the icing sugar and cocoa into a separate bowl. Add the butter and milk, and beat until smooth. Beat in the cream cheese and quark, then stir in the cooled, melted chocolate.
- When the cakes are cold, use half the icing to sandwich both cakes together. Spread the rest of the icing on top in fluffy folds, then decorate with sugared almonds, if you like.
Chocolate cake recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has butter, self-raising flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, light muscovado sugar, golden caster sugar, ground almond, natural yogurt, vanilla extract, egg, rapeseed oil, dark chocolate, icing sugar, cocoa powder, butter, semi-skimmed milk, cream cheese, quark and almond.