- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 116
- Fat Content: 4.1g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.4g
- Carbohydrate Content: 17.5g
- Sugar Content: 8.6g
- Fiber Content: 0.7g
- Protein Content: 2g
- Sodium Content: 0.2g
- date - 140g dried pitted whole dates preferably Medjool, chopped into small pieces
- rapeseed-oil - 75ml rapeseed oil, plus a few drops for greasing
- black-treacle - 75g black treacle
- maple-syrup - 50g maple syrup
- ginger - 1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- egg - 1 large egg
- buttermilk - 175ml buttermilk
- plain-flour - 250g plain flour
- bicarbonate-of-soda - 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ground-ginger - 1 tbsp ground ginger
- ground-cinnamon - 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- dark-muscovado-sugar - 50g dark muscovado sugar
- Put the dates in a small bowl and pour over 125ml of boiling water. Leave to cool for 30 mins. Lightly oil a 28 x 19 x 3cm traybake tin, then line the base with baking parchment.
- Meanwhile, put the oil, black treacle, maple syrup and freshly grated ginger in a bowl and beat together with a fork to mix well. Set aside. Beat the egg in a small bowl and stir in the buttermilk. In a large bowl, mix the flour with the bicarbonate of soda, ground ginger, cinnamon and sugar - rub the mixture between your fingers to break down any lumpy bits of sugar. Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3.
- Blend the dates and their liquid to a thick puree in a small food processor. Pour the egg, the dates and the treacle mixture into the bowl with the flour. Stir together briefly with a wooden spoon just until well mixed - the mixture will be soft like a thick batter. Pour it into the lined tin, gently level the mixture and bake for 40-45 mins. To test if it's done, insert a skewer in the centre - if the skewer comes out clean with no uncooked mixture on it, and the cake feels firm but springy to the touch, it should be done.
- Leave in the tin for a few mins before removing to a wire rack, peeling off the parchment and leaving to cool completely. If you can wait, wrap it well in parchment, then foil. Leave for a day before cutting, as it will become stickier - it will keep moist for 3-4 days.
Traybake recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has date, rapeseed oil, black treacle, maple syrup, ginger, egg, buttermilk, plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, ground ginger, ground cinnamon and dark muscovado sugar.