- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 678
- Carbohydrate Content: 88g
- Fat Content: 29g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 9g
- Saturated Fat Content: 12g
- Sodium Content: 0.6g
- Sugar Content: 79g
Make & mature Christmas cake
- dried-fruit - 1kg mixed dried fruit (use a mix of raisins, sultanas, currants, cherries, cranberries, prunes or figs)
- orange - zest and juice 1 orange
- lemon - zest and juice 1 lemon
- brandy - 150ml brandy, Sherry, whisky or rum, plus extra for feeding
- butter - 250g pack butter, softened
- brown-sugar - 200g light soft brown sugar
- plain-flour - 175g plain flour
- ground-almond - 100g ground almond
- baking-powder - 1/2 tsp baking powder
- mixed-spice - 2 tsp mixed spice
- ground-cinnamon - 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ground-cloves - 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- flaked-almond - 100g flaked almond
- large-egg - 4 large eggs
- vanilla-extract - 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Put 1kg mixed dried fruit, the zest and juice of 1 orange and 1 lemon, 150ml brandy or other alcohol, 250g softened butter and 200g light, soft brown sugar in a largepanset over a medium heat.
- Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 5 mins. Tip the fruit mixture into a largebowland leave to cool for 30 mins.
- Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Line a deep 20cm cake tin with a double layer ofbaking parchment, then wrap a double layer of newspaper around the outside - tie with string to secure.
- Add 175g plain flour, 100g ground almonds, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp mixed spice, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground cloves, 100g flaked almonds, 4 large eggs and 1 tsp vanilla extract to the fruit mixture and stir well, making sure there are no pockets of flour.
- Tip into your prepared tin, level the top with aspatulaand bake in the centre of the oven for 2 hrs.
- Remove the cake from the oven, poke holes in it with a skewer and spoon over 2 tbsp of your chosen alcohol. Leave the cake to cool completely in the tin.
- To store, peel off the baking parchment, then wrap well in cling film. Feed the cake with 1-2 tbsp alcohol every fortnight, until you ice it.
- Don't feed the cake for the final week to give the surface a chance to dry before icing.
Christmas recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 10 mins; recipe has dried fruit, orange, lemon, brandy, butter, brown sugar, plain flour, ground almond, baking powder, mixed spice, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, flaked almond, large egg and vanilla extract.Add to Favourites