- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 172
- Fat Content: 4g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 28g
- Sugar Content: 1g
- Fiber Content: 0g
- Protein Content: 7g
- Sodium Content: 0.43g
Malted walnut seed loaf
- wholemeal-flour - 500g strong wholemeal flour (we used Doves Farm mixed grain malthouse bread flour)
- fast-action-dried-yeast - 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- salt - 1 tsp salt
- water - up to 350ml warm water
- seed - 100g mixed seed (we used a mix of linseeds, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds)
- walnut - 50g walnut pieces
- sunflower-oil - a little sunflower oil, for greasing
- Make the dough with the flour, yeast, salt and water as stated in the 'Goes well with' recipe (see right), adding most of the seeds and all the walnuts as you knead the dough. Leave to rise in a clean bowl as stated, then knock back and shape into a large round. Roll the round in the remaining seeds, then lift the bread onto a tray to prove for about 30 mins until doubled in size.
- Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Bake the bread for 15 mins, then reduce the heat to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5 and continue to bake for 30 mins until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the base. Leave the bread on a cooling rack to cool completely. The loaf will stay fresh in an airtight container for 3 days or can be frozen for 1 month.
Dairy-free breakfast recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 45 mins; recipe has wholemeal flour, fast-action dried yeast, salt, water, seed, walnut and sunflower oil.