- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 33
- Fat Content: 0g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0g
- Carbohydrate Content: 7g
- Sugar Content: 7g
- Fiber Content: 0g
- Protein Content: 0g
- Sodium Content: 0.2g
- marrow - 1 1/2 kg/3lb 5 oz marrow, peeled and deseeded
- shallot - 225g shallot, sliced
- apple - 225g apple, peeled, cored and sliced
- sultana - 225g sultana
- ginger - 2cm piece ginger, finely chopped
- demerara-sugar - 225g demerara sugar
- malt-vinegar - 850ml malt vinegar
- black-peppercorn - 12 black peppercorns
- Cut the marrow into small pieces, put in a bowl and sprinkle liberally with 2 tbsp salt. Cover and leave for 12 hrs.
- Rinse and drain the marrow, then place in a preserving pan or large saucepan with the shallots, apples, sultanas, ginger, sugar and vinegar. Tie the peppercorns in muslin (or put into a small enclosed tea strainer) and place in the pan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring from time to time, until the consistency is thick.
- Leave to settle for 10 mins, then spoon into sterilised jars (see tip below), put on the lids and label.Will keep for a year in a cool, dark place.
Chutney recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 25 mins; recipe has marrow, shallot, apple, sultana, ginger, demerara sugar, malt vinegar and black peppercorn.Add to Favourites