- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 414
- Fat Content: 10g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 53g
- Sugar Content: 12g
- Fiber Content: 9g
- Protein Content: 30g
- Sodium Content: 1.2g
Masala chicken pie
- vegetable-oil - 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- chicken-breast - 4 skinless chicken breasts
- onion - 2 onions, chopped
- ginger - finger-length piece ginger, grated
- garlic-clove - 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- curry-powder - 2 tbsp medium curry powder
- ground-coriander - 2 tsp ground coriander
- ground-cumin - 2 tsp ground cumin
- mustard-seed - 2 tsp black or brown mustard seed
- red-wine-vinegar - 2 tsp white or red wine vinegar
- sugar - 2 tsp sugar (white or brown)
- chopped-tomato - 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- coconut-milk - 150ml light coconut milk (buy a 400ml can- you'll need more for the topping)
- red-pepper - 1 large red pepper, deseeded and cut into large chunks
- green-pepper - 1 large green pepper, deseeded and cut into large chunks
- coriander - 1/2 a small bunch coriander, leaves roughly chopped, stalks reserved (see below)
- potato - 1 1/2 kg floury potato, cut into very large chunks
- coconut-milk - 150ml light coconut milk
- turmeric - 1 tsp turmeric
- lemon - juice 1 lemon
- spring-onion - 1 bunch spring onions, finely chopped
- coriander - stalks from 1/2 a small bunch coriander, finely chopped
- seed - 1 tsp kalonji seeds (also known as nigella or onion seeds )
- naan-bread - naan bread, to serve (optional)
- Heat a deep frying pan or flameproof casserole dish and add 2 tsp of the oil. Brown the chicken breasts quickly but well on both sides, then remove to a plate. Turn down the heat and add the remaining oil, the onions, ginger and garlic. Fry gently until soft. Add the spices and cook for a few mins, stirring.
- Stir in the vinegar, sugar, tomatoes and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer and bubble for 10 mins. Roughly chop the chicken breasts and stir into the pan with any chicken juices and the peppers. Simmer for another 20 mins until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce reduced a little. Take off the heat, stir in the coriander leaves and season to taste - it will need a good seasoning.
- To make the topping, put the potatoes in a big pan of water, bring to the boil, then boil until cooked - 10-15 mins depending on how big your chunks are. Drain really well, then tip back into the pan and steam-dry for a few mins.
- Add the coconut milk and turmeric to the pan, and mash really well. Season with the lemon juice and some salt, then stir through the spring onions and coriander stalks.
- Spoon the chicken masala into a baking dish. Dollop on spoonfuls of mash to cover, then sprinkle over the kalonji seeds. Can be covered and chilled for up to 2 days (or frozen for up to a month).
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and bake for 25-30 mins (or 45 mins from chilled) until hot through and crisping on top. Serve with naan bread, if you like.
Healthy winter recipe for 6 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has vegetable oil, chicken breast, onion, ginger, garlic clove, curry powder, ground coriander, ground cumin, mustard seed, red wine vinegar, sugar, chopped tomato, coconut milk, red pepper, green pepper, coriander, potato, coconut milk, turmeric, lemon, spring onion, coriander, seed and naan bread.