- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 454
- Fat Content: 40g
- Saturated Fat Content: 13g
- Carbohydrate Content: 8g
- Sugar Content: 7g
- Fiber Content: 8g
- Protein Content: 17g
- Sodium Content: 0.7g
Melting-middle aubergine parcels
- aubergine - 3 aubergines
- olive-oil - drizzle of olive oil
- mozzarella - 2 x 125g balls mozzarella, drained and sliced
- plum-tomato - 2 plum tomatoes, each cut into 4 thick slices
- basil-leaf - 8 basil leaves
- basil-leaf - small handful basil leaves
- pine-nut - 2 tbsp pine nut
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves
- parmesan - 2 tbsp grated parmesan (or vegetarian alternative)
- olive-oil - 150ml olive oil
- To make the dressing, blitz all the ingredients, except the oil, in a food processor; then, with the motor still running, drizzle in the oil. Tip into a bowl and set aside.
- Trim off either end of the aubergines and discard. Slice the aubergines lengthways into 16 slices in total. Over a barbecue (or on a hot griddle pan), heavily mark the aubergine slices on each side to soften, then lift into a dish, drizzle with a little olive oil and season.
- Working methodically, make little stacks of a mozzarella slice, tomato slice and basil leaf. Wrap each stack in a grilled aubergine slice, then wrap a second slice in the other direction to try to cover the gaps and make a little bundle. Secure each parcel with a couple of cocktail sticks.Can be kept in the fridge overnight.
- Place the parcels on the barbecue and continue to char on each side until the cheese just starts to ooze out. Lift onto a platter, drizzle with the pesto dressing and serve.See time saving tip, below left.
Vegetarian barbecue recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 15 mins; recipe has aubergine, olive oil, mozzarella, plum tomato, basil leaf, basil leaf, pine nut, garlic clove, parmesan and olive oil.