- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 195
- Carbohydrate Content: 33g
- Fat Content: 3g
- Fiber Content: 6g
- Protein Content: 11g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0g
- Sodium Content: 1.38g
- Sugar Content: 7g
Mexican bean burgers with lime yogurt & salsa
- kidney-bean - 2 x 400g/14oz cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- breadcrumb - 100g breadcrumb
- chilli-powder - 2 tsp mild chilli powder
- coriander - small bunch coriander, stalks and leaves chopped
- egg - 1 egg
- salsa - 200g tub fresh salsa
- natural-yogurt - 150ml low-fat natural yogurt
- lime - juice 1/2 lime
- burger-bun - 6 wholemeal burger buns, sliced avocado, sliced red onion and salad leaves, to serve
- Heat grill to high. Tip the beans into a large bowl, then roughly crush with a potato masher. Add the breadcrumbs, chilli powder, coriander stalks and 1/2 the leaves, egg and 2 tbsp salsa, season to taste, then mix together well with a fork.
- Divide the mixture into 6, then wet your hands and shape into burgers. The burgers can now be frozen. Place on a non-stick baking tray, then grill for 4-5 mins on each side until golden and crisp. To cook from frozen, bake at 200C/fan 180C/gas 6 for 20-30 mins until hot through.
- While the burgers are cooking, mix the remaining coriander leaves with the yogurt, lime juice and a good grind of black pepper. Split the buns in half and spread the bases with some of the yogurt. Top each with leaves, avocado, onion, a burger, another dollop of the lime yogurt and some salsa, then serve.
Low-calorie dinner recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 10 mins; recipe has kidney bean, breadcrumb, chilli powder, coriander, egg, salsa, natural yogurt, lime and burger bun.