- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 6 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 251
- Fat Content: 6g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 23g
- Sugar Content: 8g
- Fiber Content: 11g
- Protein Content: 21g
- Sodium Content: 1.2g
Mexican pulled chicken & beans
- chicken-thigh - 8 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- chipotle-paste - 3 tbsp chipotle paste
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- chopped-tomato - 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- onion - 1 large onion, finely sliced
- black-beans - 2 x 400g cans black beans, drained
- kidney-bean - 400g cans kidney beans, drained
- parsley - handful parsley, coriander or mint, roughly chopped
- iceberg-lettuce - small iceberg lettuce, shredded
- cucumber - 1/2 cucumber, diced
- olive-oil - drizzle of olive oil
- tortilla-chip - large bag of tortilla chips, to serve
- lime - lime wedges, to serve
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Rub the chicken thighs with 2 tbsp of the chipotle paste. Put the rest in a medium bowl with the garlic, tomatoes, onion and some seasoning. Stir to combine, then tip into a large roasting tin. Sit the chicken thighs close together on top of the sauce. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hr.
- Remove the roasting tin from the oven, add all the beans and stir into the tomato mixture around the chicken. Put back in the oven, uncovered, for 20 mins or until the chicken is tender and the beans are hot.
- Meanwhile, mix the herbs, lettuce and cucumber with a drizzle of olive oil and set aside.
- Shred the chicken using a knife and fork, and discard the bones. Mix the chicken through the sauce and beans. Serve with the salad, tortilla chips and lime wedges.
Healthy takeaway recipe for 6 – 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has chicken thigh, chipotle paste, garlic clove, chopped tomato, onion, black beans, kidney bean, parsley, iceberg lettuce, cucumber, olive oil, tortilla chip and lime.