- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 201
- Fat Content: 2g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 36g
- Sugar Content: 2g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 7g
- Sodium Content: 0.34g
Mexican tomato rice
- sunflower-oil - 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- onion - 1 onion, finely chopped
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves, minced
- rice - 250g long grain rice
- chipotle-paste - 1 tsp chipotle paste, optional (more if you want it spicier)
- tomato-puree - 1 tbsp tomato puree
- chopped-tomatoes - 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- vegetable-stock - 750ml hot chicken or vegetable stock
- coriander - small bunch of coriander, finely chopped
- Heat the oil in asaucepanand sizzle the onion for 5 mins until just starting to soften. Add the garlic and cook for a minute more, then stir in the chipotle paste (if using) and the tomato puree and cook for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes, then scatter the rice into the pan and stir, so it's coated in the tomato mix. Pour over the hot stock, season, give everything another stir and bring to the boil, then cover the pan with a lid and turn the heat down to the lowest possible setting.
- Gently simmer for 15-20 mins until all the stock has been absorbed and the rice is cooked through. Leave the rice to sit for a few mins off the heat, then stir through the coriander and serve.
Mexican recipe for 4-6 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has sunflower oil, onion, garlic clove, rice, chipotle paste, tomato purée, chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock and coriander.