- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Serving: 10
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 618
- Fat Content: 39g
- Saturated Fat Content: 18g
- Carbohydrate Content: 62g
- Sugar Content: 41g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 9g
- Sodium Content: 0.59g
Millionaire’s chocolate tart
- shortcrust-pastry - 375g pack dessert shortcrust pastry
- vanilla - 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- flour - flour, for dusting
- caramel - 250g/9oz caramel (we used Carnation caramel from a can)
- plain-chocolate - 100g 70% plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- white-chocolate - 100g white chocolate, broken into pieces
- butter - 6 tbsp melted butter
- egg - 2 eggs, plus 3 egg yolks
- golden-caster-sugar - 4 tbsp golden caster sugar
- icing-sugar - icing sugar and single cream, to serve (optional)
- Break the pastry into chunks and drop into a food processor. Drizzle over the vanilla paste and pulse until the vanilla is speckled through the pastry (the extract should be completely absorbed). Tip out onto a floured surface, bring together into a ball, then roll out to line a 23cm tart tin (leave any overhanging pastry as you will trim this away when the tart is baked). Chill for 30 mins.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Line the pastry with greaseproof paper. Fill with baking beans, bake blind for 15-20 mins, then remove the paper and beans and bake for 5-10 mins more until pale golden. Carefully spread caramel over the base and set aside while you make the filling. Lower oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Melt the chocolates in a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, then stir in the melted butter. Whisk the eggs, yolks and sugar together with an electric whisk in a large mixing bowl for 10 mins, until pale and thick enough to leave a trail when the beaters are lifted up. Fold in the melted chocolate with a large metal spoon, then scrape into the tin.
- Bake for 20-25 mins - the surface should be set and puffed but still with a slight wobble. Cool, then chill for at least 3 hrs or overnight, before dusting with icing sugar and serving.
Tart recipe for 10 people, takes only 55 mins; recipe has shortcrust pastry, vanilla, flour, caramel, plain chocolate, white chocolate, butter, egg, golden caster sugar and icing sugar.