- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 460
- Fat Content: 30g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 30g
- Sugar Content: 16g
- Fiber Content: 10g
- Protein Content: 13g
- Sodium Content: 0.5g
Mini nut roasts with candied carrots
- carrot - 250g bunch thin baby carrots
- olive-oil - 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for the tin
- maple-syrup - 5 tbsp maple syrup
- flaxseed - 2 tbsp milled flaxseed
- onion - 1 large onion, finely chopped
- celery - 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- mushroom - 350g mixed mushrooms, finely chopped
- rosemary - 3 rosemary sprigs, leaves picked and finely chopped
- tomato-puree - 1 tsp tomato puree
- tamari - 2 tsp tamari or dark soy sauce
- smoked-paprika - 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- pecan - 100g pecans
- hazelnut - 50g hazelnuts
- lentils - 400g can green lentils, drained
- chickpeas - 400g can chickpeas, drained
- almonds - 40g ground almonds
- sage - handful of sage and thyme leaves
- mini-loaf-tins - 6 mini loaf tins (silicone ones work well)
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Scrub and trim the carrots, and cut them in half lengthways or into quarters if large. Toss the carrots with 1 tbsp olive oil and 2 tbsp maple syrup in a bowl. Season well, and tip onto a baking tray. Roast for 20-25 mins until tender and starting to caramelise.
- Meanwhile, mix the flaxseed with 4 tbsp water and leave to thicken. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in afrying pan, and fry the onion and celery until soft and translucent, about 10 mins. Add a splash of water if you need to, to stop them from catching. Stir in the garlic, mushrooms, rosemary, tomato puree, tamari and paprika, and fry for another 10 mins until the mushrooms are tender. Remove from the heat and leave in a bowl to cool slightly.
- Put the pecans and hazelnuts in afood processorand blitz until roughly chopped. Add the lentils and chickpeas and blend again until you get a thick, dry paste.
- Combine the nuts and pulses, mushroom mixture, ground almonds, 2 tbsp maple syrup and soaked flaxseed in a bowl with a good amount of seasoning. Mix everything well using your hands.
- Oil six holes of a mini loaf tin and line each with a strip of baking parchment. Trim and cut the carrots to fit in the base in a snug single layer, cut-side down. Roughly chop any remaining carrots and mix them through the nut roast mixture. Pack it firmly into the tins and smooth over. Bake, uncovered, for 20 mins. Leave to rest for 10 mins before inverting onto a serving plate, or plates. Fry the sage and thyme in the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil until crisp, then stir through the remaining 1 tbsp maple syrup. Spoon over the nut roasts to serve.
Vegetarian Christmas recipe for 6 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has carrot, olive oil, maple syrup, flaxseed, onion, celery, garlic clove, mushroom, rosemary, tomato purée, tamari, smoked paprika, pecan, hazelnut, lentils, chickpeas, almonds, sage and mini loaf tins.