- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 348
- Fat Content: 20g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 20g
- Sugar Content: 16g
- Fiber Content: 7g
- Protein Content: 18g
- Sodium Content: 0.6g
Moroccan chicken stew
- flaked-almond - large handful flaked almonds
- ghee - 1 tbsp ghee
- red-onion - 2 red onions, finely sliced
- garlic-cloves - 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ginger - thumb-sized piece ginger (about 40g), unpeeled if organic, finely grated
- ground-cumin - 1 tsp ground cumin
- ground-cinnamon - 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- sweet-paprika - 1/2 smoked sweet paprika
- chicken-thigh - 4 chicken thighs, skin on
- red-pepper - 2 red peppers, sliced into thin strips
- lemon - 1 large lemon, cut into 6 thick slices
- green-olive - handful green olives, stoned
- chicken-stock - 250ml gluten-free chicken stock or bone broth
- date - 4 pitted dates or dried apricots, chopped
- chilli-powder - a small pinch of chilli powder or 1 fresh, red chilli, chopped (optional)
- green-bean - 150g green beans, halved
- coriander - handful fresh coriander, chopped
- parsley - handful fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large, dry pan, gently toast the almonds for 2 mins until golden - don't take your eyes off them, as they burn easily - then set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the ghee and gently cook the onions for 8 mins until softened. Add the garlic, ginger and spices, and fry for 1 min more.
- Add the chicken thighs, skin-side down, and cook until the skin is golden and crisp, then turn and cook to lightly golden on the flesh side.
- Add the red peppers, lemon slices, olives, stock or bone broth and dates or apricots (and chilli, if using). Simmer with the lid on for about 40 mins until the chicken is cooked through.
- If you find the sauce is too watery, take off the lid and leave it to reduce a little. If the sauce is too thick, add a few more tbsps of water.
- Add the green beans for the final 4 mins of cooking time. Season to taste and top with the coriander, parsley and the toasted almonds to serve.
Healthy dinner recipe for 4 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has flaked almond, ghee, red onion, garlic cloves, ginger, ground cumin, ground cinnamon, sweet paprika, chicken thigh, red pepper, lemon, green olive, chicken stock, date, chilli powder, green bean, coriander and parsley.