- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 390
- Fat Content: 14g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 29g
- Sugar Content: 26g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 40g
- Sodium Content: 0.49g
Moroccan-style chicken with carrot & orange salad
- ground-cinnamon - 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- cumin - 1 tsp each cumin and coriander
- olive-oil - 1 tbsp olive oil
- onion - 1 onion, thinly sliced
- pine-nut - 3 tbsp pine nuts
- raisin - 3 tbsp raisins
- lemon - juice 1 lemon
- chicken-thigh - 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- carrot - 400g carrot, coarsely grated
- orange - 2 oranges
- salad-leaf - mixed salad leaves
- coriander - handful chopped coriander
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Mix 1 tsp of the cinnamon with the cumin and coriander in a small bowl. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion, then quickly fry until lightly coloured. Add the pine nuts, then fry until lightly toasted. Stir in 1/2 the spice mix, the raisins and the juice of 1/2 the lemon. Heat through, stirring, then remove from the heat.
- Open out the chicken thighs and spoon a little stuffing onto each. Fold the chicken meat over to enclose the stuffing, then secure each thigh with a couple of cocktail sticks. Place in a non-stick roasting tin with the cocktail sticks underneath, then sprinkle with the remaining lemon juice and spice mix. Bake for 30-35 mins until the chicken is tender and golden.
- To make the salad, tip the carrot into a bowl. Using a sharp knife, remove the zest and pith from the oranges, then cut into segments between membranes. Do this over the bowl to catch the juice, letting the segments drop in. Sprinkle with the reserved cinnamon and a little black pepper, then mix well.
- Divide the salad leaves between 4 plates, spoon over the salad, then sprinkle over the coriander leaves. Place the chicken alongside and serve.
Low-GI dinner recipe for 4 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has ground cinnamon, cumin, olive oil, onion, pine nut, raisin, lemon, chicken thigh, carrot, orange, salad leaf and coriander.