- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 2 adults and 2-3 children
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 461
- Fat Content: 13g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 40g
- Sugar Content: 1g
- Fiber Content: 6g
- Protein Content: 48g
- Sodium Content: 1.45g
Moroccan-style chicken with lentils
- olive-oil - 2 tbsp olive oil
- chicken - 8 skinless boneless chicken thighs
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- cumin - 1 tbsp ground cumin
- coriander - 1 tbsp ground coriander seeds
- paprika - 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- onion - 1 large onion, finely sliced
- lentil - 50g split red lentil
- chopped-tomato - 400g can chopped tomato
- tomato-ketchup - 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- chicken-stock - 700ml chicken stock
- cinnamon-stick - 1 cinnamon stick
- dried-apricot - 200g whole dried apricot
- mint - handful mint leaves, to serve (optional)
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Rub 1 tbsp olive oil into the chicken thighs. Mix the garlic, cumin, coriander and paprika together, then rub all over the chicken thighs on both sides.
- Heat a large flameproof casserole, add the chicken thighs and cook over a medium heat for 5 mins until golden on both sides. You might need to do this in 2 batches, depending on the size of the casserole. Set the chicken aside. Turn down the heat, add the remaining oil and fry the onion for 5 mins until softened.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients, apart from the mint and bring to the boil. Place the chicken thighs on top and pour in any juices. Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hrs, until the meat is tender and the sauce thickened. Can be cooled and frozen at this stage for up to 1 month. Defrost thoroughly in the fridge, then gently warm through. Scatter with fresh mint leaves and serve with couscous or rice.
Healthy rice recipe for 2 adults and 2-3 children people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has olive oil, chicken, garlic clove, cumin, coriander, paprika, onion, lentil, chopped tomato, tomato ketchup, chicken stock, cinnamon stick, dried apricot and mint.