- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 523
- Fat Content: 13g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 71g
- Sugar Content: 7g
- Fiber Content: 15g
- Protein Content: 24g
- Sodium Content: 0.7g
Mozzarella, pepper & aubergine calzone
- flour - 400g strong wholewheat bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- salt - 1/8 tsp salt (optional)
- yeast - 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- rapeseed-oil - 2 tsp rapeseed oil, plus extra for the baking sheet
- rapeseed-oil - 2 tsp rapeseed oil
- pepper - 1 red and 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into small chunks
- aubergine - 1 large aubergine, halved lengthways and thinly sliced
- garlic-clove - 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- tomato-puree - 1 tbsp tomato puree
- balsamic-vinegar - 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- basil - small bunch basil, roughly torn
- kalamata-olives - 8 pitted Kalamata olives, halved
- mozzarella - 125g ball mozzarella (drained weight), quartered
- milk - milk or beaten egg, for brushing
- Put the flour, salt (if using), yeast, oil and 300ml lukewarm water in a bowl and mix until soft. Knead into a ball (try not to add any extra flour) - it will be sticky but the flour will absorb some moisture. Return to the bowl, cover and leave somewhere warm.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan, then stir-fry the peppers for about 1 min until they start to soften. Add the aubergine and garlic and continue to cook over a medium heat for 8-10 mins, gently pressing the veg with a wooden spoon until it breaks down a little. If it doesn't, fry, covered, for a few extra mins.
- Stir in the tomato puree, vinegar and 2 tbsp water. When the veg is soft, remove the pan from the heat and stir through the basil.
- Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Quarter the risen dough androll each piece outto a 20cm circle on a lightly floured surface. Spoon a quarter of the filling over one side, scatter over a quarter of the olives, top with a quarter of the cheese, and brush the edges with the milk or beaten egg. Fold the dough over the filling and pinch the edges together at the side, a bit like making a Cornish pasty. Lift onto a lightly oiledbaking sheetand brush with more milk or beaten egg. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling to make four calzones, then bake for 15-20 mins until golden. Leave to cool slightly and serve at room temperature.
Lunchbox recipe for 4 people, takes only 35 mins; recipe has flour, salt, yeast, rapeseed oil, rapeseed oil, pepper, aubergine, garlic clove, tomato purée, balsamic vinegar, basil, kalamata olives, mozzarella and milk.