- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 557
- Fat Content: 21g
- Saturated Fat Content: 13g
- Carbohydrate Content: 72g
- Sugar Content: 8g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 11g
- Sodium Content: 0.5g
Mushroom buckwheat risotto
- butter - 45g butter
- banana-shallot - 1 banana shallot, finely chopped
- garlic-cloves - 2 big garlic cloves, finely chopped
- bay-leaf - 1 bay leaf
- buckwheat - 300g buckwheat
- white-wine - 150ml white wine
- dried-porcini - 15g dried porcini mushrooms soaked in 800ml water, drained, liquid reserved and mushrooms chopped
- portobello-mushroom - 200g Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- chestnut-mushroom - 250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- beetroot - 200g cooked beetroot, grated
- creme-fraiche - 100ml creme fraiche
- horseradish - 1 tbsp creamed horseradish
- dill - 1/2 small pack dill, leaves chopped, plus some fronds to serve
- lemon - juice 1/2 lemon
- Mix all the ingredients for the buraczki together in a bowl with some seasoning, then set aside.
- Melt 15g of the butter in a saute pan over a medium heat. Add the shallot and a pinch of salt and cook for 8 mins until softened but not coloured, stirring occasionally. Stir in the garlic and bay leaf, cook for 1 min more, then tip in the buckwheat. Toast the grain for 1 min then pour in the wine. Once the wine has nearly reduced, add some of the mushroom liquor and stir until absorbed.
- Continue to gradually add the liquor and stir occasionally until all the liquor has been used and the buckwheat is tender but with a slight bite. This will take 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining butter in a frying pan over a high heat. Add the mushrooms and fry for 5 mins until all the liquid has evaporated and they are golden. Don't worry if the butter goes brown - this adds a welcome nutty taste.
- Add the mushrooms to the risotto, give it a good stir and season to taste. Serve in bowls topped with the buraczki and some dill fronds.
Vegetarian main course recipe for 4 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has butter, banana shallot, garlic cloves, bay leaf, buckwheat, white wine, dried porcini, portobello mushroom, chestnut mushroom, beetroot, crème fraîche, horseradish, dill and lemon.