- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 419
- Fat Content: 29g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4g
- Carbohydrate Content: 19g
- Sugar Content: 14g
- Fiber Content: 9g
- Protein Content: 11g
- Sodium Content: 1.4g
- dried-porcini - 25g dried porcini mushrooms
- olive-oil - 100ml olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- onion - 500g pickling onions
- mushroom - 1kg mixed mushrooms such as oyster, cep, chestnut, morel, Portobello
- garlic-clove - 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- red-wine - 125ml dry red wine
- tomato-puree - 1 tbsp tomato puree
- red-wine-vinegar - 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- bay-leaf - 2 bay leaves
- allspice - 5 whole allspice berries
- cinnamon-sticks - 1 large or 2 small cinnamon sticks
- clove - 4 whole cloves
- black-peppercorn - 1 tsp black peppercorns
- tomato - 2 tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- black-olive - 75g Kalamata black olive, pitted and chopped
- clear-honey - 2 tsp Greek clear honey
- flat-leaf-parsley - 3 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- pecorino - 50g vegetarian kefalotyri/ pecorino, grated (optional)
- mash - Horseradish mash (see 'Goes well with'), to serve
- Soak the dried porcini in warm water for 1 hr. Heat half the oil in a large, wide-bottomed pan. Add the whole onions and a pinch of sea salt, and cook over a low heat until caramelised, about 20 mins, stirring occasionally. Remove the onions and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cut the fresh mushrooms into halves and quarters, to give rough 4cm pieces. Once the onions have been removed from the pan, add the remaining oil and cook the fresh mushrooms and garlic over a medium heat for 10 mins until browned, stirring frequently. Return the onions to the pan, pour in the wine and cook for 5-10 mins until reduced by half.
- Strain the porcini, reserving 200ml of the soaking liquid. Tip the porcini and reserved liquid into the pan with the tomato puree, vinegar, bay leaves, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns and tomatoes.
- Cook, uncovered, over a medium-low heat for about 1 hr, stirring occasionally, until the liquid thickens. Add the olives and honey, and season to taste. Sprinkle with the parsley and cheese and serve with Horseradish mash (see 'Goes well with').
Vegetarian casserole recipe for 4 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has dried porcini, olive oil, onion, mushroom, garlic clove, red wine, tomato purée, red wine vinegar, bay leaf, allspice, cinnamon sticks, clove, black peppercorn, tomato, black olive, clear honey, flat-leaf parsley, pecorino and mash.