- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Serving: 2
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 267
- Fat Content: 14g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2g
- Carbohydrate Content: 11g
- Sugar Content: 6.5g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 20g
- Sodium Content: 1.16g
Mussels with tomatoes & chilli
- tomato - 2 ripe tomatoes
- olive-oil - 2 tbsp olive oil
- garlic-clove - 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- shallot - 1 shallot, finely chopped
- chilli - 1 red or green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- white-wine - small glass dry white wine
- tomato-paste - 1 tsp tomato paste
- sugar - pinch of sugar
- mussel - 1kg cleaned mussels
- basil - good handful basil leaves
- Put the tomatoes in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water, leave for 3 mins, then drain and peel. Quarter the tomatoes and scoop out and discard the seeds using a teaspoon. Roughly chop the tomato flesh.
- Heat the oil in a large pan with a tight- fitting lid. Add the garlic, shallot and chilli, then gently fry for 2-3 mins until softened. Pour in the wine and add the tomatoes, paste, sugar and seasoning (mussels are naturally salty so take care with the salt). Stir well and simmer for 2 mins.
- Tip in the mussels and give them a stir. Cover tightly and steam for 3-4 mins, shaking the pan halfway through, until the shells have opened.
- Discard any shells that remain shut, then divide the mussels between two bowls and add the basil leaves. Provide a large bowl for the empty shells.
Lower sugar recipe for 2 people, takes only 10 mins; recipe has tomato, olive oil, garlic clove, shallot, chilli, white wine, tomato paste, sugar, mussel and basil.