- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 303
- Fat Content: 14g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6g
- Carbohydrate Content: 25g
- Sugar Content: 5g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 17g
- Sodium Content: 1.8g
New England clam chowder
- clam - 2kg clams
- bay-leaf - 1 bay leaf
- potato - 500g potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes around 1cm
- parsnip - 300g parsnips, cut into 1cm cubes
- olive-oil - 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- bacon-lardons - 100g unsmoked bacon lardons
- onion - 1 onion, finely chopped
- creme-fraiche - 100g creme fraiche
- lemon - lemon, to taste
- chive - chives, to serve
- Heat 1 litre of water in a large pan over a high heat. Once boiling, tip in the clams. Cover with a lid and cook for 2-3 mins until the majority of the clam shells have opened. Pour into a sieve over a large jug, reserving the cooking water. Tip the reserved liquid through a muslin-lined sieve into a large non stick saucepan and set aside - this is your stock for the soup.
- Discard any clams which haven't opened, then remove three-quarters of the clams from their shells and roughly chop.
- Put the bay leaf in the pan with the clam stock and tip in the potato and parsnip cubes. Cook for 5-7 mins until tender. Use a slotted spoon to remove half of the potato and parsnip and set aside. Fish out the bay leaf, spoon off any scum from the surface of the soup, then blitz the remaining stock and vegetables in a food processor until smooth, or using astick blender.
- Using the same saucepan over a medium heat, pour in the oil, add the bacon lardons, fry until crisp, then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the onion to the pan, cook for 5 mins until soft, then pour in the blitzed chowder, potato and parsnip. Heat until simmering, then tip in the chopped clams, take off the heat and stir through the creme fraiche, adding lemon juice to taste. Serve, topped with the crispy bacon, reserved clams in their shells and a scattering of chives and black pepper.
Soup recipe for 4-6 people, takes only 50 mins; recipe has clam, bay leaf, potato, parsnip, olive oil, bacon lardons, onion, crème fraîche, lemon and chive.Add to Favourites