- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 693
- Fat Content: 18g
- Saturated Fat Content: 10g
- Carbohydrate Content: 98g
- Sugar Content: 4g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 31g
- Sodium Content: 4.5g
Next level Margherita pizza
- strong-white-flour - 500g '00' or strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
- fast-action-dried-yeast - 1 sachet (7g) fast-action dried yeast
- plum-tomatoes - 400g can plum tomatoes (San Marzano are the best)
- extra-virgin-olive-oil - 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
- oregano - 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- basil - small bunch basil, leaves picked, stalks reserved
- parmesan - 50g parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), freshly grated
- mozzarella - 200g mozzarella from a block, cut into chunks
- First, make the dough. Tip the flour into a bowl and add 300ml tepid water. Mix together and set aside at room temperature for 1 hr. Dissolve the yeast in 2 tbsp water and mix this and 15g of salt through the dough. Cover with cling film and leave somewhere warm to double in size for a few hours. For a sourer flavour, leave in the fridge for at least 8 hrs and up to 24 hrs - the longer you leave it the sourer it will be.
- When the dough is ready, tip it onto a lightly floured surface and divide into four. Roll into balls and leave to rest, covered with a tea towel or cling film for another hour.
- Now make the tomato sauce. Drain some of the juice from the can and tip the rest into a bowl with the olive oil, oregano and a generous pinch of salt, then either scrunch everything together with your fingers for a chunky sauce or blitz with astick blenderif you want it smooth. Tie the basil stalks together, bruise with the back of a knife and place in the sauce. Leave the sauce at room temperature until needed.
- To make the pizza, heat a grill to its highest setting and get a heavyfrying pan. On a floured surface push and stretch one of the balls of dough out into a circle roughly the same size as the frying pan. Slip the round onto a floured baking sheet and top with a quarter of the sauce, a scattering of cheese, a few basil leaves and a quarter of the mozzarella.
- Get the pan very hot and carefully slide the pizza onto it. Cook for 2 mins, then put the pan under the grill for another 2 mins until the sides are puffed up and the cheese has melted. Lift onto a board, drizzle with a little olive oil if you like, then cut into wedges and serve while you make the next one.
Pizza recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has strong white flour, fast-action dried yeast, plum tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, oregano, basil, parmesan and mozzarella.Add to Favourites