- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 247
- Fat Content: 4g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 49g
- Sugar Content: 4g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 6g
- Sodium Content: 1.09g
Nice ‘n’ spicy savoury rice
- basmati-rice - 200g basmati rice
- sunflower-oil - 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- onion - 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- ginger - 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
- clove - 2 whole cloves
- cinnamon-stick - 1 cinnamon stick
- cardamom-pod - 2 cardamom pods, cracked
- curry-powder - 1 1/2 tsp medium curry powder
- frozen-pea - 50g frozen pea
- frozen-sweetcorn - 50g frozen sweetcorn
- flaked-almond - 50g flaked almond (optional)
- stock - 375ml stock (1 stock cube dissolved in 375ml boiling water)
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Rinse and soak the rice for 10 mins. Heat a large, ovenproof saucepan. Add the oil, then the onion, garlic and ginger. Cook on a low heat until the onion is soft. Add the cloves, cinnamon and cardamom pods and cook for a further 2 mins on a low heat. Add the curry powder and cook for a further 2 mins, then stir.
- Drain the rice and add it to the saucepan. Stir so that the rice is coated in the oil and spices. Add the peas, sweetcorn and half the flaked almonds, if using. Pour over the stock and stir.
- Cover the pan with a lid or with a sheet of foil, then cook in the oven for 15-20 mins. Remove from the oven, scatter with the remaining almonds, if using, and serve.
Healthy vegan recipe for 4 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has basmati rice, sunflower oil, onion, garlic clove, ginger, clove, cinnamon stick, cardamom pod, curry powder, frozen pea, frozen sweetcorn, flaked almond and stock.