- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 663
- Fat Content: 39g
- Saturated Fat Content: 20g
- Carbohydrate Content: 49g
- Sugar Content: 10g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 33g
- Sodium Content: 1.35g
No-fuss shepherd’s pie
- sunflower-oil - 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- onion - 1 large onion, chopped
- carrot - 2-3 medium carrots, chopped
- lamb-mince - 500g pack lamb mince
- tomato-puree - 2 tbsp tomato puree
- worcestershire-sauce - large splash Worcestershire sauce
- beef-stock - 500ml beef stock
- potato - 900g potato, cut into chunks
- butter - 85g butter
- milk - 3 tbsp milk
- Heat 1 tbsp sunflower oil in a mediumsaucepan, then soften 1 chopped onion and 2-3 chopped carrots for a few mins.
- When soft, turn up the heat, crumble in 500g lamb mince and brown, tipping off any excess fat.
- Add 2 tbsp tomato puree and a large splash of Worcestershire sauce, then fry for a few mins.
- Pour over 500ml beef stock, bring to a simmer, then cover and cook for 40 mins, uncovering halfway.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 180C/ fan 160C/ gas 4, then make the mash. Boil the 900g potato, cut into chunks, in salted water for 10-15 mins until tender.Drain, then mash with 85g butter and 3 tbsp milk.
- Put the mince into anovenproof dish, top with the mash and ruffle with a fork.The pie can now be chilled and frozen for up to a month.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until the top is starting to colour and the mince is bubbling through at the edges.(To bake from frozen, cook at 160C/fan 140C/gas 3 for 1 hr-1 hr 20 mins until piping hot in the centre. Flash under the grill to brown, if you like.)
- Leave to stand for 5 mins before serving.
Freezable family recipe for 4 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has sunflower oil, onion, carrot, lamb mince, tomato purée, worcestershire sauce, beef stock, potato, butter and milk.