- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 630
- Fat Content: 38g
- Saturated Fat Content: 10g
- Carbohydrate Content: 16g
- Sugar Content: 10g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 58g
- Sodium Content: 0.86g
North African chicken tagine
- chicken-breast - 2 large chicken breasts, skin on
- chicken-thigh - 4 chicken thighs, bone in and skin on
- olive-oil - 2 tbsp olive oil
- shallot - 200g shallots, peeled
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- ginger - 4cm piece ginger, grated
- cumin-seed - 1 tsp cumin seeds, lightly crushed
- coriander-seed - 1 tsp coriander seeds, lightly crushed
- cinnamon-sticks - 2 small cinnamon sticks
- saffron - large pinch saffron threads
- ground-ginger - 1 tsp ground ginger
- chilli - pinch crushed dried chilli
- butternut-squash - 375g peeled butternut squash, cut into chunks
- chicken-stock - 500ml chicken stock
- clear-honey - 1 rounded tbsp clear honey
- coriander - 2 tbsp roughly chopped coriander
- Heat oven to 180C/160C/gas 4. Cut each chicken breast in half, then season all the chicken. Heat the oil in a mediumsize ovenproof casserole dish. Add the chicken, skin-side down, and brown well all over - you can do it in batches. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Lower heat slightly, add the shallots to the pan and cook until golden brown all over. Add the garlic and grated ginger and cook for 30 secs before adding all the spices and cooking for 1 min more.
- Throw the butternut squash into the pan and stir to coat in the spices. Arrange the chicken, skin side uppermost, on top of the shallots and squash. Pour over the stock and drizzle in the honey. Bring to a gentle simmer, then transfer to the oven to bake for 40 mins until tender. Scatter with the coriander and serve with couscous and a bowl of harissa, if you like.
Freezable family recipe for 4 people, takes only 25 mins; recipe has chicken breast, chicken thigh, olive oil, shallot, garlic clove, ginger, cumin seed, coriander seed, cinnamon sticks, saffron, ground ginger, chilli, butternut squash, chicken stock, clear honey and coriander.