- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 328
- Fat Content: 11g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2g
- Carbohydrate Content: 50g
- Sugar Content: 10g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 8g
- Sodium Content: 0.7g
Onion & butternut bhajis with rotis, mango raita & mint salad
- roti - 10 rotis, sprinkled with water, wrapped in baking parchment and warmed in a low oven (or following pack instructions)
- little-gem-lettuce - 3 Little Gem lettuces, shredded
- cucumber - 1/4 cucumber, thinly sliced
- mint - small bunch mint, leaves picked
- lemon - 1/2 lemon
- korma-paste - 3 tbsp Korma paste
- plain-flour - 200g chickpea flour or plain flour
- baking-powder - 1 tsp baking powder
- garam-masala - 1 tbsp garam masala
- turmeric - 1 tsp turmeric
- onion - 2 medium onions, finely sliced
- butternut-squash - 250g butternut squash, peeled and coarsely grated
- vegetable-oil - vegetable oil, for frying
- natural-yogurt - 250g natural yogurt
- mango-chutney - 85g mango chutney
- cumin-seed - 1 tsp toasted cumin seed
- For the bhajis, mix the korma paste with 250ml cold water. Mix the flour, baking powder and spices in a large bowl, then pour in the water and mix to a thick batter. Stir in the onions and butternut squash.
- Mix the raita ingredients, warm the rotis and toss together the lettuce, cucumber and mint leaves - dress with some lemon juice.
- Heat about 5cm of oil in a big wok or deep pan. Add a drop of the batter - when it rises to the surface, bubbling and browning, then the oil is hot enough.
- Add heaped tbsps of the bhaji mixture to the oil, a few at a time, and cook for a few mins, turning occasionally, until evenly browned and crispy - this should take about 5-6 mins. Lift out onto kitchen paper, sprinkle with a little salt and keep warm in a low oven while you cook the rest.
- Assemble rotis with a few bhajis, a handful of mint salad and a dollop of mango raita, then roll up and eat.
Vegetarian Indian recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 25 mins; recipe has roti, little gem lettuce, cucumber, mint, lemon, korma paste, plain flour, baking powder, garam masala, turmeric, onion, butternut squash, vegetable oil, natural yogurt, mango chutney and cumin seed.