- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 503
- Fat Content: 25g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6g
- Carbohydrate Content: 55g
- Sugar Content: 5g
- Fiber Content: 12g
- Protein Content: 19g
- Sodium Content: 1.22g
Pea & broad bean hummus with goat’s cheese & sourdough
- pea - 300g fresh or frozen peas
- broad-bean - 300g fresh broad beans, podded (no need to remove their pale green jackets) or use frozen (defrosted)
- sunflower-oil - 4 tbsp olive or sunflower oil
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- lemon - zest 2 lemons, juice of 1
- extra-virgin-olive-oil - 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- sourdough-bread - 8 slices sourdough bread, halved
- goat's-cheese - 125g/4 1/2 oz log soft, spreadable goat's cheese
- pea - 50g bag pea shoots (or use watercress)
- Tip the peas and beans into a large pan of salted boiling water, then cook for 3 mins. Drain, cool under cold water, then drain again thoroughly.
- Put the 4 tbsp oil in a pan, heat gently, then add the garlic. Cook for 3 mins, very very gently, until the oil is infused and the garlic has softened but is not coloured. Tip the oil and garlic into a jug and cool.
- Whizz the peas, beans and almost all the zest in a food processor, then trickle in the garlicky oil. Add the garlic cloves, almost all the lemon juice and 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. The hummus should be swirling around the bowl nicely by this point, but shouldn't be too fine in texture. Scrape the sides down if you need to. Season well - you'll need about 1 tsp sea salt and lots of black pepper. Add the rest of the lemon juice to taste. Spoon into a dish, swirl the top, then drizzle over the remaining extra virgin olive oil.
- To serve, toast the bread, then spread with the goat's cheese. Dollop a good spoonful of hummus onto each piece, drizzle with a little more olive oil, scatter with the remaining zest, then grind over a little black pepper. Top with a few pea shoots and serve.
Hummus recipe for 4 people, takes only 6 mins; recipe has pea, broad bean, sunflower oil, garlic clove, lemon, extra-virgin olive oil, sourdough bread, goat’s cheese and pea.