- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serving: 10
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 509
- Fat Content: 20g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7g
- Carbohydrate Content: 71g
- Sugar Content: 30g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 10g
- Sodium Content: 0.9g
Pecan pie rolls
- milk - 400ml milk
- cinnamon-stick - 1 cinnamon stick
- orange - 1/2 orange, zest only, finely grated
- strong-white-flour - 500g strong white flour, plus extra for shaping
- unsalted-butter - 50g unsalted butter
- medium-egg - 1 medium egg
- caster-sugar - 50g caster sugar
- fast-action-yeast - 1 sachet fast-action yeast
- salt - 1 1/2 tsp salt
- oil - oil for kneading
- shortbread - 5 shortbreads finger biscuits
- pecan - 100g pecans, chopped
- dark-brown-sugar - 100g dark brown sugar
- maple-syrup - 3 tbsp maple syrup
- ground-cinnamon - 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- butter - 25g butter, chilled or frozen
- egg - 1 egg beaten, to glaze
- golden-caster-sugar - 1/2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- icing-sugar - 5 tbsp icing sugar
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Put the milk, cinnamon stick, orange zest and 4 tbsp flour in a saucepan, whisk well and bring to a boil. Take the pan off the heat and add the butter and leave to cool for 10 mins.
- Pour the milk mixture into a bowl and discard the cinnamon stick. Beat in the egg, sugar and yeast, followed by the remaining flour and salt. Mix to a soft and very sticky dough, cover and leave for 10 minutes.
- Lightly oil a worktop and knead the dough for 5 mins, then put the dough back in the bowl, cover, and leave the dough to rise for an hour. Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Line the base and sides of a 25cm loose bottomed round cake tin with baking parchment.
- Put the shortbread biscuits in a food bag and bash with a rolling pin until they're very finely crushed. Tip into a bowl and add the pecans, sugar, maple syrup and cinnamon. Lightly flour the worktop and roll the dough to about 1cm thick. Grate the chilled butter over the dough and distribute evenly. Scatter the pecan mixture over it, roll it up tightly and cut into 2-3cm slices. Lay these cut side up in the tin, cover and leave for 45 minutes. Brush with beaten egg, sprinkle with sugar and bake for 20-25 mins, until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- While the rolls cool put the icing ingredients in a bowl and slowly add enough water until it becomes the consistency of thick double cream. When the rolls have cooled but are still warm drizzle the cinnamon icing over the top.
Sharing recipe for 10 people, takes only 35 mins; recipe has milk, cinnamon stick, orange, strong white flour, unsalted butter, medium egg, caster sugar, fast-action yeast, salt, oil, shortbread, pecan, dark brown sugar, maple syrup, ground cinnamon, butter, egg, golden caster sugar, icing sugar and cinnamon.Add to Favourites