- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 631
- Fat Content: 44g
- Saturated Fat Content: 18g
- Carbohydrate Content: 35g
- Sugar Content: 6g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 26g
- Sodium Content: 3.39g
- butter - butter, for greasing
- puff-pastry - 2 x 500g blocks puff pastry
- sausagemeat - 350g sausagemeat or skinned sausages (pork & apple variety works well)
- apple - 2 apples, peeled, cored and grated
- onion - 2 onions, grated
- thyme-leaf - 2 tbsp thyme leaves
- ham - 16 thick slices cooked ham, fat trimmed from edge
- dijon-mustard - 4 tbsp Dijon mustard
- egg - 2 eggs, beaten to glaze
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Butter 2 x 20cm springform tins or deep, loose-based tart tins. Cut one-third of the pastry off each block. Roll out the smaller pieces of pastry, then cut a circle from each to make the top of the pie - use a tin base as a template. Roll out two-thirds of the pastry from each block and line the tins, leaving a good amount of excess hanging over the edge.
- Mix the sausagemeat with the apples, onions and thyme, and divide into 4 portions. Line each pie with 4 slices of ham and spread 1 tbsp mustard over the ham in each pie. Add a quarter of the sausagemeat to each pie and press down to level it. Add another layer of ham and mustard to each, then the rest of the sausagemeat and level off the tops.
- Put the pastry lids on top and brush with beaten egg. Fold the excess pastry over and press gently. Trim off any wodgy bits to make the lid look as attractive as possible. Brush again with beaten egg and cut a steam hole in the centre. Bake for 50 mins or until a skewer pushed in through the steam hole comes out very hot. Cool in the tin for 15 mins, then release the sides of the tin and cool completely on a rack (still on the bases). Serve cold, cut into wedges with pickles and salad. Or slide off the base and wrap tightly in foil, then cling film and freeze.
Freezable recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 50 mins; recipe has butter, puff pastry, sausagemeat, apple, onion, thyme leaf, ham, dijon mustard and egg.