- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 493
- Fat Content: 34g
- Saturated Fat Content: 21g
- Carbohydrate Content: 44g
- Sugar Content: 43g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 3g
- Sodium Content: 0.1g
Pineapple & ginger Pavlova
- egg-white - 4 large egg whites
- caster-sugar - 225g white caster sugar
- ground-ginger - 1 tsp ground ginger
- cornflour - 1 tsp cornflour
- white-wine-vinegar - 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- pineapple - 1/2 large pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 4-5 wedges
- ginger-syrup - 3 tbsp ginger syrup from the jar (see below), plus extra to drizzle
- stem-ginger - 6 balls stem ginger in syrup, roughly chopped
- double-cream - 500ml double cream
- icing-sugar - 1 tbsp icing sugar, plus extra for dusting handful mint leaves, shredded
- Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Place the egg whites in a large very clean bowl, and whisk to stiff peaks with an electric hand whisk. Continue to whisk while you add the sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until the mixture is thick and glossy. Continue to whisk as you add the ginger, cornflour and vinegar.
- Draw a 23cm circle on a piece of baking parchment, then turn it over and place on a large baking tray. Spread out the meringue mixture to fill the circle, creating a dip in the middle and higher sides. Run a palette knife up the edges at regular intervals if you want to create ridges. Bake for 1 hr, then leave in the oven with the door shut for 8 hrs until the Pavlova is completely cool.
- While the Pavlova bakes, heat a clean griddle pan over a medium-high heat until hot. Brush the pineapple wedges with the ginger syrup and griddle for 2 mins until char lines appear and the pineapple is slightly softened. Leave to cool completely, then cut into chunks. (The pineapple can be griddled the day before and chilled. Let it come to room temperature before you assemble the Pavlova. The Pavlova base can be made up to 2 days before serving, stored in an airtight container, then topped with cream and pineapple just before serving).
- When you're ready to serve, whizz the stem ginger and 2 tbsp of the syrup in the small bowl of a food processor to a chunky paste. Add the cream and icing sugar and whip to soft peaks, then spoon into the crater of the meringue. Top with the pineapple, drizzle with a little extra ginger syrup, scatter over the mint and dust with icing sugar.
Gluten-free recipe for 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has egg white, caster sugar, ground ginger, cornflour, white wine vinegar, pineapple, ginger syrup, stem ginger, double cream and icing sugar.