- Serving: 2
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 338
- Fat Content: 5g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 57g
- Sugar Content: 25g
- Fiber Content: 11g
- Protein Content: 10g
- Sodium Content: 0.2g
Porridge with beetroot, apple & cranberry compote & toasted hazelnuts
- oat - 100g rolled oat, soaked overnight in 250ml/9fl oz water (for best texture, use an equal combination of porridge oats and jumbo oats)
- almond-milk - 250g almond milk, coconut milk or full-fat milk
- vanilla-extract - 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- sea-salt - pinch flaked sea salt
- apple - 1 eating apple, core removed and diced
- cranberry - 140g cranberries, fresh or frozen
- beetroot - 1 raw beetroot, coarsely grated
- maple-syrup - 2 tbsp maple syrup
- orange-juice - 75ml orange juice
- ground-cinnamon - 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- vanilla-extract - 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- cardamom-pod - cardamom pods (seeds only, pounded using a pestle and mortar)
- greek-yogurt - 2 tbsp Greek yogurt or coconut yogurt
- hazelnuts - 2 tbsp hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- Put all the compote ingredients in a saucepan over a medium heat and bring to the boil, then lower to a simmer for 30 mins, adding a little water, 1 tbsp at a time, if needed.
- Once the compote is cooked, put the soaked oats, milk, vanilla and a good pinch of flaked sea salt in a saucepan, and warm over a medium heat for 3-4 mins.
- Divide the porridge between two bowls, add a heaped tbsp of compote, the yogurt and a scattering of crushed hazelnuts, to serve.
Christmas brunch recipe for 2 people, takes only 5 mins; recipe has oat, almond milk, vanilla extract, sea salt, apple, cranberry, beetroot, maple syrup, orange juice, ground cinnamon, vanilla extract, cardamom pod, greek yogurt and hazelnuts.