- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 345
- Carbohydrate Content: 47g
- Fat Content: 17g
- Fiber Content: 0g
- Protein Content: 4g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7g
- Sodium Content: 0.42g
- Sugar Content: 33g
Posh spice cake
A unique fruit spice cake for people with unique taste buds. It's light, fruity, moist, spicy and delicious at same time and has a wonderful texture with a tart cranberry topping.
- self-raising-flour - 85g self-raising flour
- plain-flour - 140g wholemeal plain flour
- baking-powder - 1 tsp baking powder
- golden-caster-sugar - 175g golden caster sugar
- cardamom - 4-5 cardamom pods
- orange - zest 1 small orange
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- mixed-spice - 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- nutmeg - 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- butter - 140g butter, cut into pieces
- pecan - 100g pecan
- raisin - 85g raisin, preferably golden or green
- sultana - 85g sultana
- cranberry - 85g dried cranberry
- egg - 1 egg
- milk - 125ml milk
- ribbon - ribbon, to decorate
- cranberry - 85g frozen cranberry, thawed
- golden-caster-sugar - 25g golden caster sugar
- Butter and base-line a deep 18cm round, loose-bottomed cake tin. Heat oven to 170C/fan 150C/gas 3. For the cake, stir together the flours, baking powder and sugar. Slit open the cardamom pods and remove the tiny seeds (discard the pods). Grind the seeds to a powder using a pestle and mortar, then stir into the flour mixture with the orange zest and all the other spices.
- Rub the butter into the mix until it looks like coarse crumbs. Coarsely chop half the pecans and stir into the mix with the raisins, sultanas and cranberries. Beat the egg, pour in the milk and stir into the cake mixture. Spoon the mixture into the tin, level the top and scatter over the remaining pecan halves. Bake for 45 mins, then lower the heat to 150C/fan 130C/ gas 2 and bake for another 45 mins.
- While the cake bakes, prepare the topping. Pat the cranberries dry on kitchen paper, then toss with the sugar in a small bowl. After the second 45 mins of baking, spoon the sugared cranberries over the top of the cake. Return to the oven for another 15-20 mins, or until the cranberries are sticky and a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin, then turn out onto a wire rack. Decorate with ribbon. The cake is best kept overnight for the flavours to mellow before slicing. Will keep in an airtight tin for up to 2 weeks.
Christmas baking recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 45 mins; recipe has self-raising flour, plain flour, baking powder, golden caster sugar, cardamom, orange, cinnamon, mixed spice, nutmeg, butter, pecan, raisin, sultana, cranberry, egg, milk, ribbon, cranberry and golden caster sugar.