- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving: 6 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 575
- Fat Content: 39g
- Saturated Fat Content: 14g
- Carbohydrate Content: 20g
- Sugar Content: 1g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 34g
- Sodium Content: 0.53g
Pot-roasted beef brisket
- beef-brisket - 1-1 1/4 kg/2 1/4 -2 3/4 lb boned and rolled beef brisket
- vegetable-oil - 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- butter - large knob of butter
- onion - 2 large onions, halved and sliced
- celery - 2-3 celery sticks, finely chopped
- carrot - 2 carrots, sliced
- flat-mushroom - 200-250g/8-9oz large flat mushrooms, stalks chopped and heads thinly sliced
- stout - 500-550ml bottle brown ale or stout
- thyme - a few fresh thyme sprigs
- bay-leaf - 2 bay leaves
- light-muscovado-sugar - 1-2 tsp light muscovado sugar
- parsnip - 500g parsnips, cut into wedges
- dijon-mustard - 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- thyme - chopped fresh parsley or thyme, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas 5/fan oven 170C. Wash and dry brisket and season. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a deep casserole and brown beef all over. Remove from pan. Turn down heat, add butter and fry the onions, celery, carrots and mushroom stalks for 6-8 minutes.
- Return beef to pan and add beer, thyme, bay leaves and sugar. Add water if necessary so the liquid comes about two-thirds up the beef. Season, bring to a simmer, cover tightly, and cook in the oven for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 160C/Gas 3/fan oven 140C and cook for 2 hours, turning twice, until tender.
- An hour before the beef is done, toss the parsnips in oil, season and roast on a baking tray above the beef for 50 mins - 1 hr until tender, turning once.
- Turn oven up to 190C/Gas 5/fan oven 170C. Lift out the beef, tent with foil and keep warm. Stir the parsnips and mushroom caps into the beef juices. Check seasoning; add water if needed. Cover and cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
- To serve, use a slotted spoon to remove vegetables and arrange round the beef. Spoon off the excess fat from the juices, then whisk in the mustard and pour into a jug. Moisten the beef with a little juice and scatter with parsley or thyme.
Cheap cut recipe for 6 – 8 people, takes only 15 mins; recipe has beef brisket, vegetable oil, butter, onion, celery, carrot, flat mushroom, stout, thyme, bay leaf, light muscovado sugar, parsnip, dijon mustard and thyme.