- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 315
- Fat Content: 9g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 46g
- Sugar Content: 3g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 10g
- Sodium Content: 1g
- white-flour - 250g plain white flour, plus extra for dusting
- bread-flour - 250g white bread flour
- bread-flour - 500g seed and grain bread flour
- fast-action-dried-yeast - 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- porridge-oat - 100g porridge oat
- seed - 100g mixed seed, plus extra for sprinkling
- walnut - 50g walnut, finely chopped
- bicarbonate-of-soda - 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- butter - 50g cold butter, diced
- buttermilk - 2 x 284ml pots buttermilk
- courgette - 100g grated courgette
- carrot - 100g grated carrot
- beetroot - 100g grated raw beetroot - wear gloves!
- egg - little milk or beaten egg, to glaze
- Dust your largest baking sheet or tray with flour. Mix the flours, yeast, oats, seeds, nuts, bicarbonate and 2 tsp salt in a bowl, then rub in the butter with your fingers until it almost disappears.
- Pour in the buttermilk and 150-200ml water and mix quickly with a wooden spoon, then your hands, to form a dough. Divide into 3 and knead a grated veg into each to make a courgette dough, a carrot dough and a beet dough. Form each into 6 rounds with floured hands. Arrange, spaced apart, on the baking tray, cover loosely with oiled cling film, and leave to rise somewhere warm for 30 mins.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Brush the tops with milk or egg, scatter with extra seeds and bake for 30-35 mins until the bases are pale golden and sound hollow when tapped. Cover with a tea towel and leave to cool a bit - this will keep them soft.
Healthy sandwich recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has white flour, bread flour, bread flour, fast-action dried yeast, porridge oat, seed, walnut, bicarbonate of soda, butter, buttermilk, courgette, carrot, beetroot and egg.