- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 798
- Fat Content: 32g
- Saturated Fat Content: 10g
- Carbohydrate Content: 51g
- Sugar Content: 4g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 71g
- Sodium Content: 6g
Ramen with chicken bone broth, pork shoulder, soft-boiled egg & greens
- egg - 4 eggs
- ramen-noodle - 250g ramen noodles
- spring-green - 2 large handfuls shredded spring greens
- spring-onion - 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- bamboo-shoot - 75g bamboo shoots from a can, drained, chopped and soaked in 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- chilli-oil - chilli oil, to serve
- chilli - pickled chilli and shallots (see recipe in tip, optional), to serve
- chicken-leg - 6 chicken legs
- carrot - 2 large carrots, halved
- onion - 2 onions, quartered
- ginger - 4cm piece ginger, sliced
- shiitake-mushroom - 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- pork-shoulder - 900g piece pork shoulder (thick layer of fat removed), halved
- mirin - 1 tbsp mirin
- sake - 1 tbsp sake
- soy-sauce - 4 tbsp Japanese soy sauce
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. For the stock, put the chicken, carrots, onions and ginger in a large roasting tin. Sprinkle with seasoning and roast for 30 mins. Transfer everything from the tin, including the fat and juices, to a large saucepan. Add the shiitake mushrooms and the pork, and pour in 3 litres of cold water. Bring to the boil and turn down to the lowest simmer you can. After the foamy scum rises to the top, skim it off with a ladle and discard. Part-cover with a lid. Let it simmer for 3 hrs but remove the pork after about 2 1/2 hrs, or when it is very soft, and set aside. Strain the stock into a clean pan. Save the chicken and use it for something else. Boil for another 30-40 mins on a medium heat to reduce by a third, then skim the excess fat off. Add about 1 tsp salt and taste to see if it needs more.
- Boil the eggs in a pan for 6 mins, then remove and put in iced water to cool.
- Boil the noodles in a large pan, stirring so they don't stick, until al dente, about 3 mins. In the final minute of cooking, add the greens. Drain and divide between the bowls.
- Mix the ramen seasoning ingredients in a small bowl. Slice the pork and add to the bowls. Pour the broth over each and add the spring onions and bamboo shoots. Peel the eggs, slice in half lengthways and place in each bowl with a dollop of pickled chilli & shallots, if you like. Pass round the ramen seasoning and chilli oil to serve on top.
Japanese recipe for 4 people, takes only 10 mins; recipe has egg, ramen noodle, spring green, spring onion, bamboo shoot, chilli oil, chilli, chicken leg, carrot, onion, ginger, shiitake mushroom, pork shoulder, mirin, saké and soy sauce.