- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 222
- Fat Content: 5g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0g
- Carbohydrate Content: 33g
- Sugar Content: 6g
- Fiber Content: 6g
- Protein Content: 13g
- Sodium Content: 0.87g
Red lentil, chickpea & chilli soup
- cumin-seed - 2 tsp cumin seeds
- chilli-flakes - large pinch chilli flakes
- olive-oil - 1 tbsp olive oil
- red-onion - 1 red onion, chopped
- red-split-lentils - 140g red split lentils
- vegetable-stock - 850ml vegetable stock or water
- tomato - 400g can tomatoes, whole or chopped
- chickpea - 200g can chickpeas or 1/2 a can, drained and rinsed (freeze leftovers)
- coriander - small bunch coriander, roughly chopped (save a few leaves, to serve)
- greek-yogurt - 4 tbsp 0% Greek yogurt, to serve
- Heat alarge saucepanand dry-fry 2 tsp cumin seeds and a large pinch of chilli flakes for 1 min, or until they start to jump around the pan and release their aromas.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 chopped red onion, and cook for 5 mins.
- Stir in 140g red split lentils, 850ml vegetable stock or water and a 400g can tomatoes, then bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have softened.
- Whizz the soup with a stick blender or in a food processor until it is a rough puree, pour back into the pan and add a 200g can drained and rinsed chickpeas.
- Heat gently, season well and stir in a small bunch of chopped coriander, reserving a few leaves to serve. Finish with 4 tbsp 0% Greek yogurt and extra coriander leaves.
All-time top 20 recipe for 4 people, takes only 25 mins; recipe has cumin seed, chilli flakes, olive oil, red onion, red split lentils, vegetable stock, tomato, chickpea, coriander and greek yogurt.