- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 213
- Fat Content: 6g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 38g
- Sugar Content: 21g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 4g
- Sodium Content: 0.42g
Rhubarb crumble muffins
- caster-sugar - 175g caster sugar
- rhubarb - 175g rhubarb, halved lengthways then diced
- sunflower-oil - 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- egg - 1 egg
- vanilla-extract - 1 tsp vanilla extract
- buttermilk - 125ml buttermilk
- plain-flour - 200g plain flour
- baking-powder - 1 tsp baking powder
- bicarbonate-of-soda - 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- light-muscovado-sugar - 50g light muscovado sugar
- plain-flour - 50g plain flour
- porridge-oat - 25g porridge oats
- ground-cinnamon - 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- butter - 50g butter
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases. Stir the sugar and rhubarb together and set aside while you make the crumble topping. Mix together the muscovado sugar with the flour, oats and cinnamon, then rub in the butter until clumpy with your fingertips.
- Stir the oil and egg, vanilla and buttermilk into the sugary rhubarb (don't worry if it's a little bit juicy). Now, add the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and stir well.
- Quickly spoon into the cases, then scatter each with a thick layer of the crumble mixture. Bake for 15-18 mins until golden and a cocktail stick poked into the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Healthy spring recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 15 mins; recipe has caster sugar, rhubarb, sunflower oil, egg, vanilla extract, buttermilk, plain flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, light muscovado sugar, plain flour, porridge oat, ground cinnamon and butter.