- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 705
- Fat Content: 33g
- Saturated Fat Content: 16g
- Carbohydrate Content: 87g
- Sugar Content: 53g
- Fiber Content: 8g
- Protein Content: 10g
- Sodium Content: 0.5g
Rhubarb & ginger crumble
- butter - 75g butter
- golden-caster-sugar - 100g golden caster sugar
- vanilla-pod - 2 vanilla pods, seeds scraped out
- bramley-apple - 3 Bramley apples, peeled and chopped
- rhubarb - 600g rhubarb, cut into even chunks
- ginger - 100g stem ginger, finely chopped
- clotted-cream - clotted cream sprinkled with ground ginger, to serve
- plain-flour - 200g plain flour
- butter - 100g cold butter, diced
- oats - 85g jumbo rolled oats
- light-brown-soft-sugar - 85g light brown soft sugar
- pistachio - 100g shelled pistachios, chopped
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. First, make the topping. In a bowl, rub the flour and butter together with your fingertips until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add in the oats and sugar, and stir with a wooden spoon to form a coarse crumble.
- Spread out the crumble in an even layer on a baking tray and bake in the centre of the oven for 15 mins until golden, with larger clusters of crumble formed. Once the mixture has cooled slightly, stir through the nuts.
- Next, make the crumble filling. Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan, then add the sugar and vanilla, and give everything a good stir. Tip in the apple and cook for 5 mins, stirring constantly, until the apples have turned into a thick puree. Once the apples have broken down, add the rhubarb and ginger. Stir well, then simmer for 5 mins until the rhubarb has just begun to soften. Pour the filling into a bowl and leave to cool.
- Once ready to eat, divide the crumble filling into six individual pie dishes, or one larger dish if you prefer, then top with the crumble topping. Can be assembled a day ahead and kept in the fridge, or frozen. To reheat from frozen, cook for an extra 15 mins until piping hot throughout. Bake in the centre of the oven for 15 mins, until bubbling throughout. Serve with the clotted cream.
Crumble recipe for 6 people, takes only 45 mins; recipe has butter, golden caster sugar, vanilla pod, bramley apple, rhubarb, ginger, clotted cream, plain flour, butter, oats, light brown soft sugar and pistachio.Add to Favourites