- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 705
- Fat Content: 15g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6g
- Carbohydrate Content: 79g
- Sugar Content: 9g
- Fiber Content: 7g
- Protein Content: 54g
- Sodium Content: 0.9g
- olive-oil - 1 tbsp olive oil
- onion - 1 onion, halved and finely chopped
- celery-stick - 1 celery stick, finely diced
- carrot - 1 large carrot, finely diced
- beef-steak - 600g pack minced beef steak
- tomato-puree - 3 tbsp tomato puree
- garlic-cloves - 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- thyme-leaf - 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- red-wine - 150ml red wine (or use extra beef stock)
- beef-stock - 500ml beef stock
- spaghetti - 400g spaghetti
- parmesan - 50g grated parmesan, plus extra to serve (optional)
- salad - side salad, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion, celery and carrot. Fry over a medium heat for 10 mins, stirring now and then, until softened and starting to colour.
- Stir in the mince and cook, breaking up any clumps of meat with a wooden spoon, until browned.
- Add the tomato puree, garlic and thyme, and cook for 1-2 mins more. Pour in the wine, if using, and increase the heat to boil off most of the alcohol. Reduce the heat, stir in the stock and season. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and leave to cook gently for 1 hr-1 hr 15 mins until the meat is tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Remove the lid and continue cooking for 15 mins. Meanwhile, cook the pasta following pack instructions. Reserve a mugful of the cooking water, then drain the spaghetti and add to the ragu with the Parmesan. Toss well and add a little pasta water to help the sauce coat the spaghetti. Serve with a side salad and extra cheese, if you like.
Freezable recipe for 4 people, takes only 45 mins; recipe has olive oil, onion, celery stick, carrot, beef steak, tomato purée, garlic cloves, thyme leaf, red wine, beef stock, spaghetti, parmesan and salad.