- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 749
- Fat Content: 33g
- Saturated Fat Content: 16g
- Carbohydrate Content: 84g
- Sugar Content: 0g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 31g
- Sodium Content: 2.32g
Rigatoni sausage bake
- pork-sausage - 400g good quality pork sausage
- olive-oil - 1 tbsp olive oil
- onion - 1 onion, chopped
- carrot - 1 large carrot, grated
- red-wine - 150ml red wine
- vegetable-stock - 300ml vegetable stock
- tomato-puree - 3 tbsp tomato puree
- butter - 50g butter
- plain-flour - 50g plain flour
- milk - 600ml milk
- nutmeg - freshly grated nutmeg
- rigatoni - 500g rigatoni or penne
- spinach - 200g fresh spinach
- cheddar - 140g mature cheddar, grated
- Slit the sausages and remove them from their skins, then chop them into small pieces. Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and fry for 5 minutes, until softened and lightly browned. Stir in the sausages and fry until lightly coloured. Add the carrot, then stir in the wine, stock, tomato puree, and season.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes until thickened. Taste and season. Set aside.
- Put the butter, flour and milk in a pan. Gently heat, whisking, until thickened and smooth. Add a sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg, season, then simmer for 2 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas 5/fan 170C. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta, stir well, then cook, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes, until tender. Remove from the heat, stir in the spinach and, when just wilted, drain well.
- Tip half the pasta into a shallow ovenproof dish, about 2.2 litre/4 pint, and level. Spoon over the sausage sauce, then cover with the remaining pasta. Pour the white sauce evenly over the top and sprinkle with the cheddar. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Leave for 5 minutes before serving.
Pasta bake recipe for 6 people, takes only 45 mins; recipe has pork sausage, olive oil, onion, carrot, red wine, vegetable stock, tomato purée, butter, plain flour, milk, nutmeg, rigatoni, spinach and cheddar.Add to Favourites