- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 581
- Fat Content: 38g
- Saturated Fat Content: 12g
- Carbohydrate Content: 8g
- Sugar Content: 7g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 53g
- Sodium Content: 1.2g
Roast chicken with braised celery hearts
- butter - 1 tbsp butter
- celery - 4 whole celery hearts, halved lengthways
- carrot - 3 carrots, chopped
- bay-leaf - 4 bay leaves
- thyme - few thyme sprigs
- garlic-clove - 6 garlic cloves, skin left on
- chicken-stock - 600ml fresh chicken stock
- chicken - 1 chicken, weighing 1 1/2 kg/3lb 5oz
- parsley - small bunch parsley, chopped
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Heat the butter in a large shallow ovenproof casserole dish and fry the celery and carrots on a medium heat for 4-5 mins. Add the bay, thyme, garlic and seasoning, then pour over the stock. Bring to a simmer, then turn off the heat.
- Sit the chicken in the dish, nestling it into the veg. Season well, transfer to the oven and roast for 1 hr 40 mins until the skin is golden. Remove to a board to rest for 20 mins.
- To serve, reheat the celery and sauce, scatter with parsley and tip into a serving dish. Carve the chicken into portions and serve on a board with the celery for everyone to help themselves.
Winter roasts recipe for 4 people, takes only 45 mins; recipe has butter, celery, carrot, bay leaf, thyme, garlic clove, chicken stock, chicken and parsley.