- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4-6 as a side dish
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 561
- Fat Content: 47g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4g
- Carbohydrate Content: 26g
- Sugar Content: 20g
- Fiber Content: 7g
- Protein Content: 5g
- Sodium Content: 0.5g
Roasted winter vegetables with smoked mayo
- beetroot - 500g beetroot (mixed colours if you can get them), small if possible
- carrot - 500g carrots (preferably long, slim ones)
- jerusalem-artichokes - 500g Jerusalem artichokes
- olive-oil - olive oil, for roasting
- egg-yolk - 2 egg yolks
- english-mustard - 3/4 tsp English mustard
- garlic-clove - 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- rapeseed-oil - 225ml smoked rapeseed oil
- lemon-juice - 2 tbsp lemon juice (you may not need all of it)
- white-pepper - white pepper, to season
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Give the whole beets a really good scrub, and cut off the tufty tails, if they have any. Scrub the carrots and halve them lengthways if they're fat. Wash the Jerusalem artichokes well (there's no need to peel them).
- Put the beets in a roasting tin and put the carrots in another (it's best to cook them separately as their crimson juice can start to bleed). Toss the beets and carrots in a little oil and seasoning before roasting for 15 mins. Halve the artichokes lengthways, then add them to the roasting tin with the carrots, tossing them in the oil, then cook all the veg for a further 30 mins until tender - it may take a little longer, depending on the thickness of the carrots and the size of the beets.
- Meanwhile, make the smoked mayo. Put the egg yolks in the bowl of afood processorwith the mustard, garlic and a little seasoning. Turn it on and slowly add the oil (make sure the mixture is thickening and the oil is incorporated), until all the oil has been added and your mixture is thick. Add the lemon juice and adjust the seasoning to taste. If your mayo is too thick, add a splash of water.
- Allow the beets to cool a little, then peel - the skins should just slip off - and cut them into pieces if you like. Put all the vegetables on a platter, and serve with the smoked mayo on the side.
Vegetarian Christmas recipe for 4-6 as a side dish people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has beetroot, carrot, jerusalem artichokes, olive oil, egg yolk, english mustard, garlic clove, rapeseed oil, lemon juice and white pepper.