- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 582
- Fat Content: 35g
- Saturated Fat Content: 16g
- Carbohydrate Content: 44g
- Sugar Content: 6g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 26g
- Sodium Content: 1.06g
Russian chicken & mushroom pies with soured cream & dill
- long-grain-rice - 125g long grain rice
- butter - 50g butter
- mushroom - 250g mushroom, roughly chopped
- oyster-mushroom - 175g oyster mushroom
- onion - 1 onion, finely chopped
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- plain-flour - 2 tbsp plain flour
- milk - 300ml milk
- chicken - 425g cooked chicken
- lemon - juice 1/2 lemon
- soured-cream - 150ml pot soured cream
- dill - pack dill, finely chopped
- ready-rolled-puff-pastry - 375g pack ready-rolled puff pastry
- egg-yolk - 1 egg yolk, to glaze
- Boil the rice in enough water to just cover until the rice is al dente and the liquid has been absorbed - about 10 mins. Season, then set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan, then add the butter. Once melted, fry the mushrooms and onion until golden. Season, add the garlic, then cook for another couple of mins. Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 mins, turning the vegetables over in it. Now take the pan off the heat and gradually add the milk, stirring to incorporate every addition before you add any more. Once done, put the pan back on the heat and bring to the boil, stirring all the time as the sauce thickens. Season well and let the sauce simmer so that the flour gets cooked. Stir in the cooked chicken and add the lemon juice, soured cream and dill.
- Spread the rice in the bottom of 6 buttered individual pie dishes, then spoon the meat and sauce on top. Leave it to cool a little. Roll out the pastry a little and cut to fit your dishes, then pop on top and press the pastry down. Trim off the excess. You can finish the pie crusts by making a long strip of pastry with the leftovers, twisting it like a rope. Moisten the edges of the pastry on the pies with water, then press on the rope of pastry. Otherwise just crimp the edges.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Make 3 slits in the centre of the pies, then brush the tops with egg yolk. Bake for 10 mins, then turn the heat down to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and cook for a further 20-25 mins, until the pastry is golden and cooked.
Pie recipe for 6 people, takes only 50 mins; recipe has long grain rice, butter, mushroom, oyster mushroom, onion, garlic clove, plain flour, milk, chicken, lemon, soured cream, dill, ready-rolled puff pastry and egg yolk.Add to Favourites