- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 584
- Fat Content: 43g
- Saturated Fat Content: 20g
- Carbohydrate Content: 6g
- Sugar Content: 1g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 43g
- Sodium Content: 0.7g
Saddle of lamb
- lamb - 1 boned saddle of lamb weighing approx 1 1/2 kg/3lb 5oz, skirts removed (ask your butcher to do this for you)
- rosemary - 2 rosemary sprigs
- olive-oil - 1 tsp olive oil
- white-wine-vinegar - 50ml white wine vinegar
- butter - 25g butter
- banana-shallot - 4 banana shallots, finely chopped
- garlic-cloves - 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- pancetta - 50g pancetta cubes
- parsley - small pack flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- sage-leaf - 6 sage leaves, torn
- lemon - 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- breadcrumbs - 50g fresh white breadcrumbs
- egg-yolk - 1 egg yolk
- First, make the stuffing. In a large pan, melt the butter over a gentle heat and add the shallots. Cook slowly for about 10 mins until softening, then add the garlic and stir to combine for 1 min. Turn up the heat and add the pancetta and a little seasoning. Cook until the pancetta is crisp, and the shallots are tender and turning golden. Take off the heat, add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine (it should not be too wet, as the stuffing should absorb some of the lamb juices when cooked). Set aside to cool.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Lay the lamb saddle out on a board, fat-side down. Arrange the stuffing in a line down the middle, bring the sides up and roll into a large sausage shape so the stuffing can only be seen at the ends. Using string, tie the saddle, tucking the rosemary under the string, then rub with salt and a little pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a high heat and place the rolled lamb in the pan to seal the outside, turning every minute or so, until golden - about 6 mins. Remove from the pan and place in aroasting tin. Pour the vinegar over - this will help to crisp the skin - then cook in the oven for 1 hr. Leave to rest for at least 10 mins on a board covered loosely with foil.
Roasts recipe for 6 people, takes only 25 mins; recipe has lamb, rosemary, olive oil, white wine vinegar, butter, banana shallot, garlic cloves, pancetta, parsley, sage leaf, lemon, breadcrumbs and egg yolk.