- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 59
- Fat Content: 1g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0g
- Carbohydrate Content: 10g
- Sugar Content: 3g
- Fiber Content: 0g
- Protein Content: 3g
- Sodium Content: 0.2g
Salmon & cucumber sushi rolls
- nori - 2 nori sheets
- salmon-fillet - 100g skinless salmon fillet (use really fresh), thinly sliced lengthways
- cucumber - 1/4 cucumber, deseeded, thinly sliced lengthways
- wasabi - squeeze wasabi, plus extra to serve
- ginger - pickled sushi ginger, to serve
- light-soy-sauce - light soy sauce, to serve
- roe - salmon roe, to serve (optional)
- sushi-rice - 100g sushi rice
- sake - 2 tsp sake or mirin (optional)
- caster-sugar - 1 tbsp caster sugar (omit if using mirin)
- rice-vinegar - 25ml rice vinegar
- First, make the rice. Rinse the sushi rice in a colander, massaging it with your hands until the water runs clear. Leave to drain for 15 mins.
- Put the rice in a saucepan with 200ml water and the sake or mirin, if using. Bring to the boil, then cover with a lid, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 mins until the liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat. Set aside, covered, for 15-20 mins.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Dissolve the sugar, if using, in the vinegar with a good pinch of salt, pour over the rice and mix. Cover with a damp tea towel and set aside at room temperature until ready to use.
- Put 1 nori sheet on a bamboo mat and cover the surface with half of the cooled rice. Lay half of the salmon and cucumber slices along the length of the rice in a strip, being careful not to overfill it. Run a pea-sized blob of wasabi (more if you like it really hot) along the edge of the filling with your finger.
- Roll up tightly and squeeze to seal when you reach the end. Repeat with the remaining nori, salmon and cucumber, and more wasabi. Slice each roll into 6 pieces, and serve with extra wasabi, ginger, soy sauce and salmon roe, if you like.Will keep in the fridge for 1 day.
Healthy salmon recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has nori, salmon fillet, cucumber, wasabi, ginger, light soy sauce, roe, sushi rice, saké, caster sugar and rice vinegar.