- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serving: 2 with leftover ice cream
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 1385
- Fat Content: 107g
- Saturated Fat Content: 63g
- Carbohydrate Content: 94g
- Sugar Content: 52g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 12g
- Sodium Content: 2.8g
Salted caramel banana tatins with crème fraîche ice cream
- vanilla-pod - 1 vanilla pod
- double-cream - 200ml double cream
- milk - 100ml milk
- egg-yolk - 3 egg yolks
- golden-caster-sugar - 85g golden caster sugar
- creme-fraiche - 300ml full-fat creme fraiche
- puff-pastry - 250g puff pastry
- plain-flour - plain flour, for dusting
- banana - 1 banana, peeled
- brown-sugar - 50g soft light brown sugar
- butter - 50g butter
- double-cream - 2 tbsp double cream
- To make the ice cream, split the vanilla pod in half lengthways and scrape out the seeds. Put the pod and seeds in a saucepan with the cream and milk, and bring slowly to the boil. Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until pale. Pour the hot cream mixture over the egg and sugar, whisking continuously. Pour back into the pan, set over a gentle heat and stir with a wooden spoon. Heat gently until the custard mixture thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon, then remove from the heat.
- Pour the creme fraiche into a bowl and whisk to loosen. Slowly pour in the hot custard mixture, whisking as you go. Pour the mixture into an ice-cream machine and churn until softly frozen. Transfer to a container, then freeze for 2 hrs to firm.
- To make the Tatins, roll out the pastry on a floured surface to the thickness of a PS1 coin. Using the banana as a guide, cut out 2 pastry lids big enough to fit over the banana, leaving a 1cm border around the edge. Place the pastry on a baking tray and put in the fridge.
- Set an ovenproof, heavy-bottomed frying pan over a medium heat. Add the sugar, butter and cream, and cook for 5 mins until the sugar has melted and the caramel is bubbling. Add 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes. Slice the banana in half lengthways and place the 2 halves, cut-side down, into the caramel.
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Place a pastry lid on top of each banana half, tucking each in tightly around the edges. This can be done 1 hr ahead. Transfer the pan to the oven and cook for 20 mins until the pastry is risen and golden. Quickly and carefully turn out the Tatins, sprinkle with a few flakes of sea salt and serve with scoops of creme fraiche ice cream.
Caramel recipe for 2 with leftover ice cream people, takes only 25 mins; recipe has vanilla pod, double cream, milk, egg yolk, golden caster sugar, crème fraîche, puff pastry, plain flour, banana, brown sugar, butter and double cream.