- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 272
- Fat Content: 7g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 37g
- Sugar Content: 5g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 16g
- Sodium Content: 0.1g
- lentil - 250g red or yellow lentil
- turmeric - 1/2 tsp turmeric
- tamarind - 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- vegetable-oil - 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- shallot - 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- asafoetida - 1/2 tsp ground asafoetida
- fenugreek - 1/2 tsp ground fenugreek
- mustard-seed - 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
- curry-leaf - 10 curry leaves
- red-chilli - 7 small dried red chillies
- green-bean - 140g green bean, trimmed and cut in half
- Place the lentils in a large pan with 400ml water. Add turmeric and tamarind and boil for 25-30 mins until very soft.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan and gently fry the shallots for 8-10 mins. When softened, add the spices, curry leaves, chillies and a good pinch of salt. Cook for another 2 mins, until fragrant.
- Boil another pan of salted water and cook the beans for 4 mins until tender, then drain well.
- Once the lentils are cooked, add the shallot spice mix and the beans, stir well and add more seasoning if necessary.
Indian recipe for 4 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has lentil, turmeric, tamarind, vegetable oil, shallot, asafoetida, fenugreek, mustard seed, curry leaf, red chilli and green bean.